Windshield rock chip repair is a great way to save money and prevent the need to replace your windshield entirely. However, many people don’t know what it entails or the best practices for repairs.
First, we’ll start with three things you may not know about windshield rock chip repair:
- Windshield Rock Chip Repair does not involve replacing the entire windshield. Instead, a resin-based filler material is injected into the damaged area and hardened with ultraviolet light. This helps stop any further spreading of cracks caused by temperature changes or impact. It’s important to remember that Windshield Rock Chip Repair can only fix small chips less than 1/4 inch in diameter, so more significant damage will require a complete replacement.
- Windshield Rock Chip Repair doesn’t always prevent the need for a full windshield replacement eventually. In some cases, even with Windshield Rock Chip Repair, further damage can occur, or the repair may not take effect, resulting in the need to replace your entire windshield.
- Rock Chip in Windshield Repair should be completed as soon as possible after noticing a chip in order to get the best results from the repair and reduce any further spreading of cracks caused by temperature changes or impact. Depending on where you live and how much winter weather you experience, Windshield Rock Chip Repair may only be available at certain times of the year because cold temperatures make it too difficult to perform the repairs correctly.
Rock chips come in all shapes and sizes, and repairing them can vary depending on a few factors.
Here are some of the things that will help you understand the different types of rock chip repairs:
- Windshield Repair – Windshield repair is the process of repairing minor chips and cracks in the glass to improve visibility and keep the windshield from further damage. Windshield repairs use a specialized resin that, when injected into the crack or chip, will fill up the void, creating a smooth surface again.
- Windshield Replacement – Windshield replacement involves replacing your entire windshield instead of just fixing the crack or chip. Windshields are usually replaced when they have suffered significant damage, such as an impact that has caused deep cracks or chips that cannot be repaired with a simple injection of resin.
- Paintless Dent Removal (PDR) – PDR removes minor dents from cars without having to repaint them. It involves carefully massaging the dent out of the metal surface using special tools and techniques so that new paint is not required.
- Windshield Frame Repair – Windshield frame repair involves repairing minor damage to the frame surrounding your windshield, such as dents or small cracks. Windshield frames are usually made from aluminum or steel, and a professional technician can use special tools and techniques to repair them without needing to replace the entire windshield assembly.
- Windshield Clipping – Windshield clipping is similar to regular repair and replacement but only applies to certain types of vehicles with unique windshield designs. Windshield clip repairs involve removing rusted clips on older cars to secure a newer windshield that can fit the car properly.
- Windshield Resealing – Windshield resealing is used to repair leaks around the windshield and can help seal up small cracks or chips that have been repaired with resin. Windshield resealing involves applying a special adhesive around the windshield’s perimeter, ensuring it’s strong enough to last for years without needing additional upkeep.
- Windshield Wiper Repair – Windshield wiper repair involves repairing the moving parts of your vehicle’s windshield wipers so they work correctly and provide clear visibility while driving in rain or snow. Windshield wiper repairs usually involve replacing worn blades, changing out broken arms or motors, and lubricating the joints.
- Windshield Sealant Repair – Windshield sealant repair is used to repair any small holes or cracks in the outer seal of your windshield, which can lead to air leakage and poor visibility while driving. Windshield sealants are applied around the edges of the glass, providing a tight seal and helping keep water out of your vehicle’s interior.
- Hail Damage Windshield Repairs – Hail damage windshield repair is the process of restoring a damaged windshield to its original condition. Windshield rock chip repairs typically involve filling in any cracks or pits with a specialized resin and then smoothing it out so it looks no different from the rest of the glass.
- Windshield Bullseye Repair – Bullseyes are circular impacts that cause concentric circles in your windshield. They can typically be repaired with resin, but the clarity of your windshield may not be restored to its original condition.
Now for the best advice — leave it to the professionals. And here’s why:
When you have a rock chip in your windshield, hiring a professional to repair it is the best way to ensure your and your passengers’ safety. Windshield rock chip repair ensures that the damaged glass is restored to its original condition and prevents further damage spread. Professional technicians are well-trained and experienced in repairing these chips and cracks. They use specialized tools and techniques that guarantee superior results without the risk of further spreading or compromising integrity.
The most important benefit of hiring professionals for rock chip repairs is that they can restore your windshield’s structural integrity quickly and safely, so you don’t have to worry about safety issues caused by damaged glass. In addition, professionals ensure that the damage is completely sealed and there is no risk of further damage due to weather or road debris. Hiring professionals also ensure that your windshield repair will last longer since they use high-quality materials and techniques specifically designed for this type of repair.
Utah Mobile Auto Glass provides rock chip repair services that ensure your windshield remains in good condition and prevents additional risks. We have the expertise and tools necessary to restore your windshield’s structural integrity quickly, safely, and effectively.
We offer FREE mobile service for your windshield repair or replacement. Contact us, and let us get your vehicle repaired to its original pre-rock-chipped condition today!